The Pig Palace, so named by neighboring farmers, was designed by London and built in
1915. Laid out in a circle to save labor, the piggery's central feedhouse is surrounded by
17 pens. Each family of pigs had its own area; a courtyard with feed and water troughs,
roofed sleeping area, and a fenced outdoor run. The piggery was designed to efficiently
care for prized breeding pigs in a sanitary environment.
Return to Jack London State Historic Park Page
Return to Parks Home Page
Proudly hosted by Sonoma.net